With significant experience in moving, and helping clients to move, here are my recommendations:
1. Get more than one estimate if at all possible, time permitting
2. Keep in mind the overall picture – while cost is important, and can vary from mover to mover, there are other factors that weigh in on the best mover for your situation, and timing
3. Check on moving company recommendations from others you know and trust
4. Keep a file of all your communications, paperwork, questions, notes, and receipts for your move (either hard copy, online or both). You may qualify for tax deductions for certain moving costs if you meet the IRS guidelines (check with your accountant)
5. Be prepared for your discussions with potential movers with the following information – date you can be out of your house and/or the date you must vacate by in accordance with your sales contract; date you can be or must be in your new location, whether a new home or condo or temporary housing
Here are some key questions for moving companies:
What dates are you available to move us (pack, load, move)?
Is there an additional charge for packing/unpacking?
Will you provide boxes for me to use for my packing, will you deliver, and is there a charge?
What insurance is provided and what does this cost?
What is the cost of additional insurance for expensive items (e.g., art work, antiques)?
Is there anything you cannot ship?
Will the mover ship specialty items and are there additional costs for these?
Do you provide storage at my new location until I can move into my new home? What does this cost and for how long?
Can you make more than 1 drop off (e.g., my new house and a storage unit)? What is the cost?
Will you ship my car(s)?
How long will it take for my household goods to arrive in my new location?
If you would like to have a copy of my Questions to Ask Your Movers Checklist, please give me a call (760-840-1360) or email me at JeffDowlerSolutions@gmail.com.
If you need more relocation tips, why not check out my Relocation A to Z Blog. I am happy to help you from start to finish in your relocation here to Southern California.
Author:Jeff Dowler Phone: 760-840-1360 Dated: November 19th 2015 Views: 783 About Jeff: ...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
There are some people who have not purchased homes because they are un
""Working with my Solutions Real Estate agent has been a great experience. We relocated to the San Diego area and quickly determined that the Carlsbad area was a perfect fit for my family after meeting with our agent. Ashley was able to explain the current real estate market to us and help us narrow down our home search based on our criteria. We love our new home and would recommend Solutions Real Estate to anyone!""